500 Sikh pilgrims evacuated from Uttrakhand, to reach Punjab tonight

Punjab News

Chandigarh/June 27
Around 500 more Sikh pilgrims have been evacuated from flash flood affected area of Uttarakhand and they are likely to reach to Punjab from Rishikesh tonight.
With this the total number of pilgrims evacuated from different parts of Uttarakhand have reached at 8000 and they are being transported to Punjab in buses and other vehicles deployed by state government, said a Punjab government spokesperson, adding that rescue and relief teams of state have intensified its rescue operations to evacuate over 2500 pilgrims including over 350 Punjabis stranded at Badrinath by Friday evening as heavy rains lashing the route halted the operation for few hours.
The spokesperson said that the Punjab government today dispatched a Special Rescue and Relief operation team led by Adapa Karthik to Badrinath that joined rescue operations in association with other rescue agencies. “There are around 2500 devotees from several states of the country still stranded in Badrinath, out of which more than 350 were from Punjab,” added the spokesperson.
Meanwhile, Karthik said that the teams from Punjab had been safely rescued thousands of Pilgrims from Sri Hemkunt Sahib, Gobind Dham, Gobind Ghat, Nagrasu and other hilly areas while the remaining pilgrims, at Badrinath weather permitting, will be air lifted out to Joshi Matth by Friday afternoon.
“All the necessary and requisite arrangements of transportation have been made at Joshi Matth for the devotees, where more than 200 rescuers of Punjab Police were working day and night for the safe landing of pilgrims at base camp of Punjab Government at Gurdwara Sri Hemkunt Sahib Management Trust, Rishikesh,” Karthik added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.