North Gazette News
The gunmen who attacked a Tunisian museum and killed 21 people were trained at a militant camp in Libya, Tunisia’s secretary of state for security has revealed. According to sources the terrorist group Islamic State has released an online audio recording in which it claims responsibility for Wednesday’s shooting at the Bardo Museum.
Officials said that Yassine Abidi and Hatem Khachnaoui had left the country illegally last December for Libya and they were able to train with weapons there. Abidi had been arrested before making his way to Libya, without providing details of the alleged crime, security secretary Rafik Chelly said. He also named locations of several suspected training camps for Tunisians in Libya, including the second city Benghazi. He said others were trained in the coastal town of Derna, which has become a stronghold for jihadists. Sources say that as many as 3,000 Tunisians have gone to Iraq, Syria and Libya to fight in jihadist ranks. It has raised fears of battle-hardened militants returning home to plot attacks.
While, Tunisian prime minister said that the country will “reinforce” its borders by deploying both army and police personnel. It is worth mentioning that the Wednesday’s attack was the country’s worst since the 2011 uprising that toppled strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali. The gunmen had pened fire on tourists arriving at the museum, before chasing them inside. The two attackers were among the 23 people left dead. As many as twenty foreign tourists were gunned down, including visitors from Japan, Italy, Colombia, Australia, France and Poland and most of the victims were passengers on two cruise liners.