Gorton Castle, a heritage British era building that houses Himachal’s Accountant General’s office, suffered huge damages after fire broke out in the top floor of the building on Tuesday morning.
As per reports, the 100-year-old heritage building caught fire at around 3 am on Tuesday morning that has destroyed the main complex of British era four storey building into ashes. “Fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the flames that spread from top floor and soon engulfed the lower floors of the Gorton Castle,” said a Fire department official, adding that they are trying to douse the flames, however, the reason behind the fire remains unclear as yet.
Sources say that the fire might have been caused by short-circuit or use of electrical heating that might have been left on by the employees after leaving office yesterday.
Gorton Castle which located on the way to Viceregal Lodge and near the Himachal Vidhan Sabha building, was constructed by Sir Swinton Jacob in 1904 with about 125 small and big rooms and it uses to house the Central Secretariat of British government.
Gorton Castle was later converted into the office of Accountant General and it was recently renovated by the state government at a cost of crores of rupees.