• Youth to get Employability allowance of Rs 1000 per month for vocational studies.
• Sports will be a compulsory subject in all schools.
• Free Tablet Computers for Class XI students will be given within this year.
• Rs 30,000 Stipend for all medical interns.
• The Budget focuses on the poor with an outlay of 37% of the total budget on the welfare of SCs, STs and backward classes alone.
• The budget announces a major scheme to build one lakh houses for the poor homeless under a scheme be known as Mukh Mantri Avas Yojna.
• For the first time in the country, a scheme has been launched to provide all citizens an insurance cover of Rs 1.50 lakhs at a nominal premium by extending the Bhai Ghanayiya Sehat Sewa Scheme.
• All government employees in the state will enjoy insurance cover under cashless insurances. The L.T.C. will be restored for them from 1.4.2013.
• In view of the stagnation in the farm sector, the Government has stepped up its outlay for Crop Husbandry & Agriculture 23.53% – to 449 Cr. The Punjab Agricultural University will receive an amount of Rs 300 Cr.
• Punjab will be moving with rapid strides towards its goal of becoming a Power Surplus State. In addition to the conventional energy, 1300 MWs additional power will be generated from non-conventional and renewable energy resources. For this, PEDA will be made an Authority for increased efficiency with a mandate to implement energy saving schemes & projects in all govt. department and mandate to generate power from Municipal Solid Waste.
• Infrastructure Development receives a major boost with an increased outlay of 32.39 percent from Rs 1208.51 crore to Rs 1600 crore.
• The grant to PAU increased from Rs 270 crore in 2012-13 to Rs 300 crore in 2013-14.
• Relief of Rs 1 lac each to the families of farmers who committed suicide from 2000 to 2006. For this Rs 66 crore have been earmarked for 2013-14 for relief of 2 lac each to all the 4688 affected families upto 2010.
• Kandi Canal – The remaining 14 km of length out of 70 km length of Kandi Canal Stage – II to be completed by 2013-14 at a cost of Rs 156 crore and work on Shahpur Kandi Dam Project to start in May 2013.
• New Investment Policy to be announced for boosting the business environment in the state. It will focus on inclusive growth, mapping inherent advantages of the state and would lay out the blue print for industrial revolution in the next 25 years.
• Trade Fair center at Amritsar and Expo and International Convention at Mohali to be set up.
Mohali and Amritsar to be developed as IT and knowledge hubs.